Friday

Keyboard Confusion

The wretched Mac keyboards used in my office are subtly different from the regular PC ones. SO subtly different I didn't notice precisely what it was for over a month and was wondering if I was losing the ability to fast type.

Everytime I placed my hands on the keyboard without looking, I'd type complete and utter gibbyerish. Then I'd stare at my hands bewilderedly and wonder WHY this was happening. I look carefully at the keyboard, and it's a QWERTY board, no reason for this. So I align my hands meticulously and type flawlessly. And then the next time I take my hands off the keyboard and replace them without the meticulous alignment.... gibberish happens again.

Then today I discovered THE TRUTH.

Regular PC keyboards have a raised line on the 'f' and 'j' keys on which you place your index fingers. I instinctively aling my index fingers with these lines.

Mac keyboards have the lines on the 'd' and 'k' keys.

%#@*%$&@&#^#!!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

why on earth is a newspaper publication using a Mac?

i mean for general we-idiots-who-only-need-to-type usage.

Non comprende.

Kahani said...

These are oollllld first generation Macs. All you CAN do on it is type.

Shuuji said...

silly macs...always trying to be different. XD

xenobiologista said...

Macs are supposed to be better for publishing purposes, i think. The student newspaper and yearbook at my alma mater (geez, I'm a college ALUMNA now) uses them...not old ones, G3s or something.