Sunday

Star Wars Episode 3.


Congrats to George Lucas : this film is actually watchable compared to the first two which had me cringing all the way.

I expected this movie to open with a bang and I wasn't disappointed : a big space battle with cap ships duking it out amidst a swarm of starfighters. I guess there wasn't enough budget in Episodes 4/5/6 for much of that : these shots look gorgeously detailed. (see picture). Then a daring mission by two jedi (of course Obi Wan and Anakin) to break into the command ship and rescue Palpatine, fighting with Darth Sidious and General Grievious along the way. And R2 gets to kick some ass as well, really love that droid. =p And guess what, the action never really stops : one of the best action shows I've seen in a long time. Well on the other hand the actions scenes could be less tightly spaced, and some scenes were pretty rushed, especially the crucial point where Anakin turns to the Dark Side... that was a pretty fast decision there eh?

Yet I will have to resign myself to the fact that Anakin X Padme scenes will always suck. The way Anakin turned to the Dark Side was pretty believable, (believe it or not), the only flaw in the whole thing was the unconvincing relationship between Anakin and Padme, but that's a flaw in the acting rather than flaw in the storyline.

Pretty violent show : lots of people being chopped up by lightsabres, I was a bit queasy by the end myself =p

Strange things I noticed.

Kashykk : what's up with that, when various books have described Kashykk as a planet with trees kilometers tall and wookies as arboreal and the planetary surface absolutely full of deadly lifeforms (hence why wookies are arboreal) and huge 'cloud cities' strung across the huge trees. Well perhaps I was mistaken...

Obi Wan owning Anakin at the end : with some super saiyan lightsabre attack and then, leaving him to die in such a pitiful manner. I wouldn't leave even my worst enemies in that kind of pain and condition, at least if they're going to die I would finish them off on humanitarian grounds. This from the Jedi Master who claims "I love you like my brother".

No comments: