Wednesday

The Hall of Heroes


The Hall Of Heroes in Guild Wars is the final battle in the inter continental competition for obtaining favour of gods for your country. I play with Team Discovery Channel, and they are an amazing bunch of players: and generous too, for recruiting a newbie like me on the strength of a friend's recommendation. =p

The main attraction really, is the teamspeak or ventrilo voice chat communication. Games are played in an 8v8 format, and fast communication is absolutely vital to a team's success. Talking in a TS / Vent server will send your voice to every member of the team.

I guess much of my early reading and inspiration came from military style novels like Enders game, or any number of Timothy Zahns space opera fics. Playing on TS is like giving me a second chance to relive those memories. Star Wars space combat comes to mind as well. Communication is clipped, short, and to the point : radio discipline gives way to plain chatter sometimes, which is also okay, the tension you can hear in the other players voices is palpable. The leader has to inspire trust and confidence in his team. I have full respect for my team leader, he is just amazing and he pulls out wins from situations I would not have thought possible.

A short transcript of radio chat:

"fragility on 4"
"removing 4"
"seeding 2"
"switching"
"target lingered"
"someone pick up 6"
"morale boost, next aegis is mine"
"ignore hex on 8"
"seeding ghostly"
"switching"
"two warrior on 7"
"seeding 7"

We have a guy on there with a very cool sexy voice. No I have no idea who he is ^_^ but it's just indescribably cool to hear him say "target is lingered" over the general crosstalk in his smooth low voice. o_o

But yes, we rock. Hard. And kill so many top rated guilds and players along the way to claiming Halls.

PS : the picture is me with my PvP character standing outside the Hall of Heroes. my ingame handle is Seeker, which I think is a suitably cool callsign hehe. some allusions to HP Quidditch and some allusions to MTG character called the Seeker of Skybreak. wearing tatoo patterns instead of actual clothes gives me more energy to use but lately i have taken to wearing actual proper armour.

1 comment:

aetherfox said...

and even if you do get there you can't appreciate the pretty graphics =p