Sunday

Wired 14.04: Geekonomics

Comment which I have to agree with :

In this way, the process of becoming an effective World of Warcraft guild master amounts to a total-immersion course in leadership. A guild is a collection of players who come together to share knowledge, resources, and manpower. To run a large one, a guild master must be adept at many skills: attracting, evaluating, and recruiting new members; creating apprenticeship programs; orchestrating group strategy; and adjudicating disputes. Guilds routinely splinter over petty squabbles and other basic failures of management; the master must resolve them without losing valuable members, who can easily quit and join a rival guild. Never mind the virtual surroundings; these conditions provide real-world training a manager can apply directly in the workplace.
link

I sit and observe. I don't have the desire for leadership. But from where I stand, I can more clearly see the mistakes made. And I hope to learn from them. And I know that if I were to be put into that position, I'd be able to do a pretty damn good job of it. I've made my share of friends and enemies, but I've nonetheless gained their respect.

1 comment:

xenobiologista said...

Wired rocks - both the mag and the website. i have a subscription to the print mag because they had a 12-months-for-ten-bucks offer.