Sunday

go burn down your house


To explain : I'm content with what I've seen and done, gained and lost : like a painter looking a finished picture, I want to stop and rest for good.

There was once a science fiction story where the premise was that technology had advanced to the point where humans existed in computers, and could live immortal lives. Memories could be edited at will, since all memory was just computer information. And then they discovered that it was undesirable to do so.

The solution they came up with was interesting : when the time was right, (they didn't tell anyone) they would burn down their virtual house, and move away, and take on a new name, identity and face, and start anew. This is a universe of trillion and trillions of other people, where people live for thousands of years, where every conceivable research and achievement has already been accomplished...

Don't worry : I'm good. It's interesting : I didn't quite mean my last post to be so morose, but I do a fair bit of thinking, and my sense of logic is quite different from most. So yes : you might say there's so much more I have to achieve and do. *shrug* I don't see any point in it, and there's nothing in this world that can really convince me why I should.

But please accept my hypothesis : if humans could technically life forever, there would be a point where you would decide to end your life : and more likely a point where you would like to start over, as the accumulated weight of experiences and memories become too heavy for a single mind to bear. And that this point is reached at different times for different individuals. If you disagree with this, then post =p

Am currently reading Purpose Driven Life : a common theme is that purpose is only found through God : and thinking about it for a week has convinced that this is so. There really is no convincing argument why life should continue : and thanks to Ash for reminding me about the Talents.

It's not that my painting is so bad that I want to start over : It's really good, I'm really happy, but there's already too much density =p

8 comments:

Araluena said...

I can understand your argument about seeing no need in continuing living. My great-grandmother got to that point. Mind you, she was 96 at the time she said "I'm sick of waiting around".

Heh. It was quite depressive reading the last post. Thought provoking though...

Anonymous said...

I think you're going through depression. I've been through that many times.

From my experience, the frightening thing about depression - and what psychiatrists and psychologists try to evade all the time in their discourse - is that depression asks the one question that is the most important and relevant in all our lives: why are we here? what's the point of it all? why shouldn't i just die right now?

Learning to handle depression, I think, is simply learning to live with those questions unanswered, and to change one's desire of having that question answered.


-
CatR.

Anonymous said...

On the other hand, there are so many people who die of old age regretting they hadn't achieved what they wanted to...

You said "you might say there's so much more I have to achieve and do. *shrug* I don't see any point in it, and there's nothing in this world that can really convince me why I should."

I spent 3 years facilitating seminars on financial independence. Just seeing those people "wake up" and successfully start their own businesses... the sense of accomplishment and their gratitude are reward enough.

A purpose in life does not have to be beyond our reach. It's the little things, like unspoken gratitude, that make life worth living.


PS. I still don't get what's the deal with this blogging fad...

aetherfox said...

haha, hi oni =p

sense of accomplishment and gratitude, hey you can get tired of that even after awhile =p

karcy : perhaps, perhaps not, who knows... but really it's nothing to worry about. just one night's overthinking.

Shuuji said...

Sounds like another rant from playing too much Guild Wars. Your character reached maximum level liow ar so makes you want to make other new characters issit? LOL!

Kahani said...

*rotfl at ken*

Mark, you're kind of young to be feeling this way already. technically you life is still pretty much a blank book waiting to be filled.

Jerng said...

Don't laugh at him sweety. I got there a half decade ago.

aetherfox said...

blank book? maybe i'm a minimalist at heart =p