Tuesday

Makoto Shinkai returns


With his latest animation, A Place Promised in Our Early Days : Beyond the Clouds. I have been waiting some 2 years for this since seeing the trailer.

The visuals and music are excellent, possibly the best the industry has seen so far. But the story feels draggy somehow, perhaps because I was expecting something as snappy as his first animation was. Some sob worthy scenes in here, you really do feel like crying sometimes, but the emotional development seems shallower than it could have been. *bonks director on the head*

The story is intriguing, and took me completely by surprise. The start of the show was really really slow, and then suddenly you find out what is really happening and then things get more interesting. But the pacing is still too slow for my liking.

The emotional punch and content he delivers in 80 minutes I feel he could have achieved in a 50 minute short movie. He's done it before with Hoshinokoe. Don't ask me how, but I just have a high opinion of his ability. =Þ

3 comments:

Tiffie said...

I'm actually downloading the 1.3gb version on BitTorrent at the moment and it's taking forever!! >_< I wanna watch it now :(

Karcy R. said...

Someone has got to lend that to me pretty please? I'm stuck in dialup

Shuuji said...

It was kinda draggy...but i thought the emotive factor hit the spot. It probably can be made shorter with same effect....but i wouldn't know how.

The show looked more like a showcase of Shinkai's animation and directorial skillz rather than his screenplay writing.